Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Color Of Water


Sometimes without conscious realization, our thoughts, our faith, our interests are entered into the past. We talk about other times, other places, other persons, and lose our living holding on the present. Sometimes we think if we could just go back in time we would be happy. But anyone who attempts to renter the past is sure to be disappointed. Anyone who has ever revisited the places of his birth after years of absence is shocked by the differences between the way the place actually is, and the way he has remembered it. He may walk along old familiar streets and roads, but he is a stranger in a strange land. He has thought of this place as home, but he finds he is no longer here even in spirit. He has gone on to a new and different life, and in thinking longingly of the past, he has been giving thought and interest to something that no longer really exists.
The color of water by James McBride
Chapter 24

8 comments:

AlenaRosa said...

That is one of my favorite books ever!

Ed Ngai said...

I spent 12 years of my life at the same school from elementary to high school to sixth form.

It should feel like a second home but since going to uni and visiting it again it feels like a strange and distance place to me.

Culture Served Raw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ModernDayHolly said...

wow this is beautiful! =)

Americanising Desi said...

this is so thought provoking.
thank you for the sharing :)

The Coffee Curmudgeon said...

I love this book and completely forgot about this quote. This is so true-- I've moved around quite a bit and going back to visit is such a strange feeling. Even if the place isn't as wonderful as nostalgia would have you remember, you're still drawn to it.

Andrea said...

Hey lil' sista, hope you are doing well. I miss you. *hugs*

Shania said...

Alena Rosa: One of my favorite books as well.

Faker: that happens a lot. I have visited places I once were and talked to people I use to be really close, only to find out that we have moved on.

Valerie Wangnet: Thank you! for reading and for leaving a message. BTW I love the stories on your blog, scary but still find myself looking for more.

Modern day Holly: thank you for your message.

AD: Thanks for taking the time to leave a message! I am glad you liked it.

The coffee curmudgeon: totally get what your saying. I guess its all part of life. thanks for leaving a message. You just reminded me to visit your blog. good one btw.

Alpha: Oh my deer sista from another mom LOL, I missed you too and thanks for your message it really means a lot. Hey you look great in that pic.

 

fentanyl